History in any situation is that special, sometimes precious thing, which is meant to be preserved by and for the members of an organization for all time. The history presented here is no exception. The history of Alpha Nu Omega is definitely something to be cherished by all of its brothers – past, present, and future. Therefore, with this thought paramount in mind, this history is dedicated to Alpha Nu Omega; may it live forever.
IN THE BEGINNING
In the Spring of 1959, Thomas W. Kraus and C. Gary Holzer first conceived the ideas which ultimately lead to the founding and organization of our great Fraternity, Alpha Nu Omega. Tom Kraus and Gary Holzer began to transform their dreams into realities of a new fraternity at the University of Minnesota-Duluth (UMD). Their reasons for seeking a fourth fraternity for the UMD campus were essentially these: they found no existing fraternity which met their respective desires while at the same time belonging to the Greek movement; they felt that yet another fraternity at UMD would hasten the advancement of fraternities from local to national affiliation; and they firmly believed that a new fraternity would be of service to the University and the community.
In the summer of 1959, Tom Kraus and Gary Holzer brought two more interested men into their fold. These were John C. Eckholm and Robert G. Pike. Returning to classes in the fall of 1959, the remaining four charter members were taken into the fold. They were William E. Peterson, Richard E. Pease, Gerald R. Maeckelbergh and Lynn D. Jamison.
At this time, the name of the new Fraternity was agreed upon. It was to be Alpha Nu Omega – a name the charter members of Alpha thought proper and fitting because they felt the name would appear emblematic and significant of the high ideals and aims the founding members desired to attain through the years. Literally translated from Greek, the name was to read: Alpha (the first) Nu (the newest) Omega (the greatest).
On October 22, 1959, Alpha Nu Omega received its first ad interim approval as a campus organization. On December 4, 1959, the group was officially and formally declared a fraternity on the UMD campus.
At the end of spring quarter, 1960, Thomas Kraus, Gerald Maeckelbergh, William Peterson and John Eckholm were graduated. Sophomores Tony Fiskett and Paul Johnson transferred to the main campus at Minneapolis. These six became Alpha Nu Omega’s first Alumni spawning the Alpha Nu Omega Alumni Association.
PRINCIPLES OF ALPHA NU OMEGA
- “…to form a greater bond between students…”
- “…to better the academic standards of our University…”
- Daryl B. Knodt Memorial scholarship
- John L. Banks Memorial Scholarship
- Warren F. Orrick Memorial Scholarship
- “…to promote a more diversified program of social activities…”
- “…to secure greater cooperation among faculty, administration, and students…”
- “…to deliver a program of service to our fellow man…”
Our insignia consists of a five-pointed star set on a shield. The five points represent the five principles of this Fraternity. The letters of the Fraternity are inside the upper three points. The key of friendship is inside the lower left point. The light of truth is inside the lower right point. In the center is the great pyramid of strength. The shield represents the honor of the Fraternity.
ALPHA NU OMEGA FOUNDERS
Front Row: Bill Peterson, President; Dick Pease, Vice President; Jack Eckholm, Treasurer;
Jerry Maeckelbergh, Secretary
Back Row: Lynn Jamison, Historian; Bob Pike, Social Chairman; Gary Holzer, Rush Chairman, Tom Kraus, Pledge Master